Snort mailing list archives

snort with shorewall - recommendation

From: Roland RoLaNd <r_o_l_a_n_d () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 22:21:53 +0300

Dear all,
I'm new to snort and open source IDS/IPS all together so bear with me.
i have the requirement to install snort on a network of 30 users which use PAT to reach the internet.
Expected design is to have one box running debian that has the following services and facing the
internet.shorewalldnsmasqsquid
i read part 1 and part II of Wiley Publishing - Snort For Dummies [2004] but it's a bit outdated and i'm worried things
would have changed by now.
Moreover, i have three questions that i hope you can help me answer:
- if i want to run snort on the gateway itself (mentioned above) should i run it as NIDS or HIDS ? - Since internet
traffic for all users is already going through this box, do i still need to set the interface to run in promiscuous
mode?- squid/proxy is running in transparent mode. is there any special config for snort in this case?
PS: is it AOK to install snort on the firewall itself?
any advice would be appreciated.