Snort mailing list archives

Re: Why Multiple Rules Files on Snort...Why? (fixed)

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 17:35:30 -0400

On Aug 20, 2013, at 5:06 PM, Dominick Bakhtiar <dominickfb () gmail com> wrote:

Hi Guys, I am fairly new to using Snort, so sorry in advance...Here's my question...

There are multiple rules files on snort.org that follow this naming convention:

Okay, let me fix your subject then, because the rule files aren’t on Sourceforge.

snortrules-snapshow-29##.tar.gz with the same date. These files look the same to me. What's the reason for multiple?

There is a version of rules that go with the version of Snort you are running that are supported by the EOL policy

Please see it here:
http://www.snort.org/vrt/rules/eol_policy

The plaintext rules are generally the same (they are right now) but sometimes, we’ll introduce a new keyword into the
Snort language that only some versions (new) of Snort can take advantage of.  For instance, when the file_data keyword
came out, only new versions of Snort supported it.

It seems some rules are missing from these files. I just updated my rules (backed up my original) but I can't start
snort now because it is looking for some rules it cannot find (such as community-sql-injection.rules). I don't see
this file in the updated .gz file.

Those old community rulesets (that come packaged in Ubuntu for some reason) are dead.  The community ruleset now lives
at:
http://www.snort.org/snort-rules#community

I wish the Ubuntu maintainer would include that instead of the old stuff.

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT