Snort mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: Snort catching backup as alert?

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 13:51:06 -0400

On 8/19/2013 11:32, William Rehnquyst wrote:
The other day my Snort alerted that it had detected shellcode, and the payload
information looks just like a snort rule. It seems to be going from my snort
server to the backup server. Does that just mean while backup is happening,
Snort is detecting shellcode it's looking for in the rule file itself?

probably... but it also means that everything else in the rule has to match the
traffic, too...

I would think if that's the case then every single rule in the rule file would
be triggered, because everything it's looking for is in there and it's being
transmitted. Were these shellcode detections just a fluke then?

simple rules may catch this whereas those using pcre may or may not depending on
the rules' possible content matches it is looking for...

i'm going to trim the following a bit so as to make it easier to follow and to
also give only the SID which is really all that's needed... if the GID is not 1,
then it is also needed but in this case, all of your rules are GID:1 (textual
rules)...

Below is the payload it captured, which triggered the alert:

1.
sid:17340; rev:3;)

is looking on any port for a simple content only match... yes, this one is
likely firing because of seeing that exact string... i note also that the rule
is looking for traffic from $EXTERNAL_NET to $HOME_NET and that brings up a few
questions:

  1. is your backup server external to your network?
  2. is this detection happening when your backup server is sending
     the traffic to a machine in your home net during a restore?

sid:17341; rev:2;)

this rule has three content matches but they are hex coded so not straight
strings in the content matches... no idea if this rule is triggering on seeing
itself...

sid:17342; rev:2;)

this one is similar to 17341 in that its match is hex coded content...

sid:17343; rev:2;)

the same with this one...

alert ip $EXTERNAL_NET any ->  $HOME_NET any (msg:"INDICATOR-SHELLCODE x86 OS agnostic xor

the SID was left out on this one so i don't know what rule it is...

ps. On a side note, pardon my newbie-ness, how does screenshots and
attachment work on a mailing list like this? I'm not sure whether
they work or not because I never see them in the archive onseclists.org?

it is best to just copy'n'paste the information into a post rather than trying
to do screenshots... mainly because graphics are larger than the data you are
trying to show... as for them not appearing on seclists, that may be because
seclists doesn't allow them and so strips them out...

as a general rules, each mailing list is different... some do not allow
attachments at all... others allow any attachments up to a certain size... then
some restrict the type of attachments and may also apply size restrictions to
them... these details should be available in the rules for the list which
everyone should read before joining the list... as for other systems that import
the list and make it available in another format, they have their own rules...
as long as posts made on them that get transferred back to the list conform with
the list's rules, there are no problems...