Snort mailing list archives

Re: Rule Management with two separate rulesets

From: JJC <cummingsj () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 10:58:38 -0600

PP names them for you.. even if they are indivitual ET-category.rules or
VRT-category.rules :-)

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 10:49 AM, waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>wrote:

On 7/16/2013 23:08, Steven McLaughlin wrote:
Hi All,

I am looking at testing emerging threats ruleset alongside snort rules.
As far
as directory structures are concerned is it best to have the rules in
separate
directories and run two separate instances of pulledpork? Or better to
have both
rule sets all in the one directory?

The overlap could get complicated here with rule updates and snort conf
files etc..

Is anyone else doing this? If so any advice?

we run both sets here... not testing...

we do not (yet) use pulledpork...

we have all the rules files in one directory...

each is differentiated by their name...
   blah.rules from VRT (kinda wish they'd put VRT-blah.rules)...
   emerging-blah.rules from ET...

we have all rules named in snort.conf so that we can manage them by
"category"
(ie: filename)... in this way, we can enable or disable an entire category
with
one edit to (un)comment one filename...

having the rulea all in one directory also allows for easier management of
sid-msg.map because the generator for that file can simply run thru all
files in
the one rules directory...

we have no problem with rules updates... we (currently) pull VRT rules
once a
week and ET rules once a day...

--

Please visit http://blog.snort.org to stay current on all the latest