Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort switches to packet Dump Mode

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 13:04:06 -0400

On 7/16/2013 07:05, Mayur Patil wrote:
In continuation with previous mail,

    I recompiled Snort and Daq from source.

    (This time I put script of snort from the snort website)

    I got snort compilation successful and snort exit.

    The output I am getting now are

    [root@clc init.d]# ./snort status
    snort (pid  15718) is running...

    [root@clc init.d]# snort status
*Running in packet dump mode*

*./snort* and *snort* are NOT the same when you are in that directory! ;)

now do yourself a huge favor and rename /etc/init.d/snort to something else so
that you will no longer be confused if you are running snort directly or running
the script to manage snort... if you are going to use the script, use the script
all the time...

perhaps something like
   mv /etc/init.d/snort /etc/init.d/snortd

then use /etc/init.d/snortd everywhere and stop using snort plain without the d...

OR rename your snort binary and alter your /etc/init.d/snort script to use the
binary's new name...