Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Snort-devel] snort signature failed to prevent attack in inline mode

From: Edward Borgoyn <eborgoyn () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:13:53 -0400

Hello Mitesh,
  Thank you for your inquiry regarding SMTP handling within Snort.

  Do you have a pcap file that you can send to assist with our assessment
of the situation?  We believe the issue is with a limitation of the SMTP
stream flushing implementation.  There is an existing bug report that is
aimed at improving the SMTP stream flushing functionality and hence IPS
capability.

    Best Regards,
    Ed