Snort mailing list archives

Create a rule that takes its content from a file.

From: arneu sneu <arneu99 () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 14:07:19 +0000

Hi,

I just installed Snort a few days ago and started to play with it by writing my own rules.
I would like my rule to take its content from a file, but I haven't find any information on this topic, neither in the
manual, nor on the Internet. I found that the content-list keyword once existed in Snort, but it has apparently been
removed about 6 years ago. Too bad, because it was exactly what I was looking for.
Would anybody have an idea on how to do such a thing with current snort features? I could write a rule for each of the
lines of my file or use pcre with the list of possible values, but I was wondering if there was a way to do it with a
rule taking its content from a file. If not, what is the correct approach to do this?

As an example, if I have a file containing a whitelist of file extensions, I would like to raise an alert when an email
attachment having an extension that is not in the list is seen in the network traffic.

Many thanks for your help.

Cheers

Arneu