Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Emerging-Sigs] Browser Extension Hijack sigs

From: James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 11:53:57 -0600

On 2013-05-13 11:38, Will Metcalf wrote:
Nice! Have you seen be anything other than googleusercontent.com [9]
or mozilla.org [10]? Also it seems that both of these ship add-ons
over ssl at least in my limited testing, have you seen something to
the contrary?

Regards,

Will

Yea...legit extensions go via https so we can poopcan:

alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET $HTTP_PORTS (msg:"POLICY
Firefox Plugin install"; flow:to_server,established; content:"mozilla";
http_header; content:".xpi"; http_uri;
reference:url,http://research.zscaler.com/2012/09/how-to-install-silently-malicious.html;
classtype:bad-unknown; sid:10000029; rev:1)

and

alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET $HTTP_PORTS (msg:"POLICY
Chrome Plugin install"; flow:to_server,established;
content:"googleusercontent"; http_header; content:"|2f|crx|2f|blobs";
http_uri;
reference:url,http://blogs.technet.com/b/mmpc/archive/2013/05/10/browser-extension-hijacks-facebook-profiles.aspx;
classtype:bad-unknown; sid:10000054; rev:1)

The other two *might* be useful...neither article really shows http or
https :(  Thanks Will for catching the details I miss :)

James