Snort mailing list archives

Re: Barnyard2 2-1.13-BETA

From: beenph <beenph () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 19:55:02 -0400

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 7:24 PM, Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () utc edu> wrote:

On 4/10/2013 8:52 AM, beenph wrote:

***** We highly recommend ******
 To delete every row in your sig_reference table. (DELETE FROM sig_reference;)
 The table will be re-populated at  process startup, and has no impact
on historical data.

You updated to 2-1.13-BETA?

I may have goofed.....   :(

I have had some signatures showing up in the "snort alert [x:yyyyyy:z]" format for awhile (since converting to BY2).
Hoping that the above hint was a reference to clearing out the database descriptors, I did a 'delete from signature';
and a 'delete from sig_reference'; and restarted things.  Now I have nothing at all in the descriptions, at least
from the perspective of BASE...

the message was really only targetted at sig_reference, and not signature.
Unfortunately there is no way of brigning them back up unless you have
a database backup or archive of your old unified2 file.

If you do and didin't have alot of signature change in your
sid-msg.map file you could clear the database then
replay your unified2 files and you would probably have less missing signature.

Well, I take that back... a couple have populated now...
Yhea, when signatures are not found they will gradualy get re-inserted
but your historical data might point to unassigned signature
because they where removed from the signature table.

So should this clear itself up eventually, or have I hosed my current alerts database?
(Please reply all, i'm not on the google groups list...)
The best way i know of to overcome that is to clear the database
compeltly and replay unified2 file you have if you archive them.

You should join the googlegroups :)

-elz