Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Emerging-Sigs] TCP/UDP "trivial" ports?

From: "Castle, Shane" <scastle () bouldercounty org>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 19:56:33 +0000

More checking has shown that several varieties of smart phones (Android for sure) are using 13/tcp for time sync. Sigh.

Maybe this should be left to classic firewall rules rather than IDS? But it'd be nice to have defense in depth.

I regularly see blocked 7/udp (echo) requests from outside, several per day, but less than 1/hour.

--
Shane Castle
Data Security Mgr, Boulder County IT