Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort not seeing IP-traffic, just Ether/Other

From: James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 12:52:17 -0600

On 2013-04-18 12:01, Kim.Halavakoski () Crosskey fi wrote:
Hello,
I have setup a snort-sensor on a RedHat Linux box with traffic from a
switch span-port feeding eth1 on the box. The traffic contains
vlan-tagged traffic, if that makes any difference.

The problem is that I am just getting some weird multicast / SSAP and
DSAP encapsulated Ethernet frames on that interface on the Linux box,
but when a colleague plugged in his laptop with Windows 7 on the same
port it saw all the traffic that I would like to see, meaning
IP-traffic
from the monitored networks.

So Windows 7 sees the traffic, but the Linux box running snort just
sees
weird multicast / SSAP / DSAP traffic. tcpdump does not show any IP
traffic either. I know this is probably not a snort-question per se,
but
being snort-users list I think some of you guys might have som good
insights to this behaviour, probably easy to fix but I just can't get
it
right now :( Any ideas on what I am doing wrong here?

Best regards,

Kim Halavakoski

Doesn't seem like your span-port is working..you should at least see
broadcast though...that's weird.

Try setting your nic offloading (as root and with ethtool installed):

ethtool -K eth1 rx off
ethtool -K eth1 tx off
ethtool -K eth1 sg off
ethtool -K eth1 tso off