Snort mailing list archives

Re: Only local.rules

From: Nicholas Horton <fivetenets () me com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 21:08:55 -0400

I have a live snort box but I I am trying to test barnyard performance over the wan. I have a ping rule in local.rules
where I listen to a unique IP address.

As that pings I use the u2spewfu and odlaw to check the performance over 5 mins.

After this test I want to go back to a full functioning snort box.

What I did was copy snort.conf into testsnort.conf and cut out section 5 of the config file.

Run snort manually using the testsnort.conf and after the test delete it and start up snort using service snortd start.

Seemed to work.

Nick