Snort mailing list archives

Re: Doubt about configuration HOME, EXTERNAL.

From: Agus <agus.262 () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 19:41:58 -0300

Thanks Shane for your time! Will try to do some pcaps..

2013/6/6 Morris, Shane (US SSA) <shane.morris () baesystems com>

 Agus,****

** **

When you’re watching traffic leaving your network you’re looking for
things like users going to infected sites, CNC, bad domains/IPs, data
exfil, etc It’s just as important as watching the noise banging off your
web servers.****

** **

If your net is just the /24 than I think your variables are correct. The
rules would header would be HOME_NET -> EXTERNAL_NET. Also Snort default
HTTP_PORTS variable includes proxy ports so you can catch your users going
to the net through a proxy port.****

** **

The best thing to do is run some dumps on your listening port/s and
analyze the traffic along with some accurate net diags.****

** **

** **

** **