Snort mailing list archives

Re: flowbits: netsenum

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 16:28:17 -0400

On May 30, 2013, at 4:05 PM, waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net> wrote:

what i ran into and the reason for my original posts, was that the bits were set
but there was nothing to check them... no indication of a SO only rule or just a
forgotten or commented out standard alert rule... that's why i ran my grep to
find out if there was a rule disabled by default for those flowbits setters...
if there was and it was disabled by default, then it might either need to be
enabled by default or the flowbits setter rule should also be disabled by default…

And it is much appreciated it.  I love the feedback, I'm trying to make the "out of the box" policy as good as I can
get it, if you adjust from there, that's on you.

as far as SO rules go, i don't know about other environments but ours does not
use them by default... it requires specific and manual intervention to enable
them as well as making them work (generating the stubs in the proper place and
updating them when they change)... the fact that our environment it its own
distribution and not one of the big name brand one adds complication to the
process since they are distributed only in compiled form…

Well, from our perspective, we ship them in a "default" state.  If people choose not to use the SOs, or can't, then
that's a use case we can't work around.

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT