Snort mailing list archives

Re: Multiple Snort instances processing Pcap files

From: Livio Ricciulli <livio () metaflows com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 15:15:44 -0700

Could it be you are running out of memory?

On 05/29/2013 02:01 PM, Parker, Jonathan E. wrote:
Hey, thanks for the reply.

- Snort 2.9.4.5
- No definitive number of processes where failing starts that I can determine. It seems to have more trouble the more instances I run. - My snort.conf file is fairly large and I don't have a quick way to get it to my "internets" workstation. But pcaps are processed just fine with my snort.conf if I process one file at a time. Could there be something that becomes an issue re: snort.conf if one runs multiple instances.

I saw another reply that maybe it is a threading issue - I didn't know Snort was single threaded - just started using it. Perhaps that is my issue.

Thanks - Jon