Snort mailing list archives

snort, barnyard, and base

From: Dwayne Hottinger <dhottinger () harrisonburg k12 va us>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 12:15:35 -0400

Is there a recommended way to start snort and base so that the correct
logging occurs?  If I start using the init.d script all logging goes into a
snort.log and an alert file is created.  Thus barnyard doesnt see anything.
 If I start using
 snort -D -c /etc/snort/snort.conf all works as planned.  I went through
the init script and cant cipher all the different options, init is calling
like this:
/usr/sbin/snort -b -d -D -i eth0 -u snort -g snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf
-l /var/log/snort and that seems to ignore my snort.conf file.  Can someone
help with the different switches?

thanks,

ddh

--