Snort mailing list archives

"Adapter is in Passive Mode" Warning

From: Ricky Huang <rhuang.work () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 15:01:59 -0800

Hi all,

I was playing Snort rules and noticed the following doesn't work:
reject ICMP any any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"Shut this rule off, it works now"; sid:100000;)

While
alert ICMP any any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"Shut this rule off, it works now"; sid:100000;)
works fine.

So I ran snort with -T flag and noticed:
WARNING: /usr/local/etc/snort/snort.conf(641) Adapter is in Passive Mode. Hence switching policy mode to tap.

Line 641 of snort.conf is where I tried to set policy to "inline" ("config policy_mode:inline").

Is there supposed to be a build flag to enable IPS capability on Snort? I looked at my FreeBSD ports option:

# make showconfig
===> The following configuration options are available for snort-2.9.4_1:
     BARNYARD=on: Depend on Barnyard2
     DBGSNORT=off: Enable debugging symbols+core dumps
     FLEXRESP3=on: Enable flexible response on events (v3)
     GRE=on: Enable GRE support
     IPV6=on: IPv6 protocol
     LRGPCAP=off: Enable pcaps larger than 2GB
     MPLS=on: MPLS support
     NORMALIZER=on: Enable normalizer
     PERFPROFILE=on: Enable performance profiling
     PULLEDPORK=on: Depend on pulledpork
     REACT=on: Enable react
     SNORTSAM=off: Enable unofficial Snortsam patch
     SOURCEFIRE=on: Enable Sourcefire-specific build options
     TARGETBASED=on: Enable targetbased support
     ZLIB=on: Enable GZIP support

and couldn't seem to find any…

Thanks!