Snort mailing list archives

Re: Rules across tcp headers & http headers/payload

From: "lists () packetmail net" <lists () packetmail net>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 09:25:23 -0600

On 03/05/2013 04:23 AM, Andy Richards wrote:
May something like network behavioural analysis would be the way to go with Snort feeding packets and alerts into
such a system maybe via the unix_alertsock to identify such behaviour?

Maybe Netflow or some custom libpcap-based solution would probably work.  I've
done similar, usually tossing output from tcpdump across a pipe to Perl.

Best wishes and good luck.  Snort's really good at L7 but for L3/L4 flows like
you've described with rule chaining isn't really performance friendly for the
engine as I understand your use-case to be.