Snort mailing list archives

Re: Default Snort Rules

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 16:42:08 -0500

On Feb 25, 2013, at 4:07 PM, Document Retention <document.retention () gmail com> wrote:
Greetings,

How does Sourcefire decide what snort rules are enabled/disabled?

This answer is going to be extremely long winded, so prepare thyself.

If it is a current exploit in the wild, and/or has good performance (fast content match), Low false positive rate, It's
important, or current malware/exploit kit, It goes in the default policy (which is balanced).
If it may not be current (current but not in the wild), or *might* have bad performance, or could introduce false
positives, it'll go into security
If it will have false positives, or is slow, we put it in no policies by default.

Also,  why are some of the rules packaged but never added to snort.conf ?

Are you sure you are using a current snort.conf?
http://www.snort.org/vrt/snort-conf-configurations

Is there a methodology you apply?

Yes, but right now, it's up to the person who reviews the rule and puts it into the ruleset.  We are working on a
project right now that will make the criteria of these policies extremely clear.

Right now, there are essentially 7 states a rule can be in at any one time.

Connectivity over Security -> alert/drop (2)
Balanced -> alert/drop (2)
Security over Connectivity -> alert/drop (2)
Off -> 1

= 7 states.

When we get a hard and fast set of instructions about which rules will be in what policies (and there are always
exceptions) we are going to be publishing a blog post http://blog.snort.org here.  Right now we are collecting numbers
and seeing where those numbers should be by testing performance and false positive/true positive rate in test systems.

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT