Snort mailing list archives

Re: preprocessor sfportscan does not generate alerts

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 14:42:55 -0500

On 2/25/2013 09:55, johnny.venter wrote:
I need clarification on preprocessors and rules.  In the example, below, the preprocessor for sfportscan is "enabled"
and it writes an output log to a certain directory when I detects a portscan.  But Snort will *NOT* generate an event
unless there is a rule enabled for a portscan???

I have a similar situation where sfportscan is enabled and writes to a log directory.  It successfully detects
various Nmap/Scapy port scans.  But Snort never generates an alert in the u2 file.

Is there way to generate an alert without creating specific port scan rule?  If not, this would seem redundant
because sfportscan already successfully detects portscans.

as i tried to note, below, sfportscan does NOT detect /all/ port scans... for
those that it does not detect, rules may be necessary to catch them if they are
that important to your network's detection/protection policies...

Thanks.