Snort mailing list archives

Re: Problem with acquiring traffic

From: Alex Adamos <alexthakidadam () hotmail com>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 19:46:34 +0200

Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 14:12:43 -0500
From: wkitty42 () windstream net
To: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Problem with acquiring traffic

On 2/23/2013 13:58, Alex Adamos wrote:
Hello!!

i wrote my own preprocessor to track flows to a webserver and determine whether
the server is under a slow http DoS attack. Now i want to test my preprocessor
and see "how many fish i can get" (greek one, :p)!! I've installed Snort in an
Ubuntu virtualBox Guest (the Host is a Windows7). To automate the tests i wrote
a bash script that every time starts Snort (with a different configuration for
my preprocessor) and starts the attack/s. So the Snort installation and the
attacker/s should be on the same machine. For this reason, I thought that i
should capture traffic from the lo interface. But so far, i can't get any of the
attacker's packets.

are you sending to/from 127.0.0.1? if not, there's nothing on lo to see...

Doesn't anyone have an idea?? All i want is Snort to capture traffic
from the lo interface. Until now i cannot see any packets coming if i
send them from the localhost (guest machine 127.0.0.1) to the same
machine's web server (localhost 127.0.0.1).

I've attached a
screenshot from tcpdump. This is the traffic from lo interface when i'm
not sending any packets from a slowhttp-tool. Always, i can see a
connection opening from a different port from localhost to localhost's
port 80, then closing, and then opening another one...I can't understand
 what's happening!!!
Furthermore, tcpdump catches the attacking packets in the lo interface.

in snort.conf:
ipvar HOME_NET 127.0.0.1