Snort mailing list archives

Re: Explanation of Rule 1:19189:4

From: Nicholas Horton <fivetenets () me com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 08:28:15 -0500

Thanks Rmkml.

I don't have a pcap at this time but can record one.  What I do have is 2 alerts from 2 different sources going to the
same destination ip generating this alert.

Sources are windows 2003 server titanium and the destination is a xp pro box.

Both sources seem to already have patch KB2535512 installed. I'm not sure about the destination ip box.

I would like to see who has the vulnerability or where the issues is. For example when I get another netbios alert such
as 1:14782 (conficker) I'm able to verify with nmap that it has the conficker infection.

So with the new netbios alert is there a possible infection. It lists no know false positives. So if both sources have
the patch should I check the destination since this rule is flow to client?

I read CVE-2011-1869 but I'm still not sure if this is an issue or not.

I guess I should turn of pcap output along with unified2. I can do both simultaneously right?

Thanks again
Nick