Snort mailing list archives

Re: var or ipvar?

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 21:01:41 -0500

On 1/28/2013 15:43, Nicholas Bogart wrote:
Here is a snippet from the most current manual.  Which I checked after my last
email.
"IPs may be specified individually, in a list, as a CIDR block, or any
combination of the three. IP variables should be
specified using ’ipvar’ instead of ’var’. Using ’var’ for an IP variable is
still allowed for backward compatibility, but it
will be deprecated in a future release." -  Snort Manual, November 2012
So if I read that it is currently still allowed and older builds shouldn't break
if it is still used.  As I said before some of the older builds ipvar hinged on
if IPv6 was enabled when it was installed or not.  So if it wasn't then that
might cause an issue.

thanks for that... it kinda helps but the way folks are grabbing anything they
can to try to force this stuff to work is really causing problems... and it
doesn't help at all that sourcefire is forcing retirement of "old" rules and
support of "old" versions based on their update schedules which do not fit into
anyone else's schedules :? :? :( :( :(

Nick

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 2:39 PM, Y M <snort () outlook com