Snort mailing list archives

Re: Creating a PostgreSQL database for snort on Debian system

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 20:49:38 -0500

On 1/21/2013 17:18, giulia603 () virgilio it wrote:
I was following the guide on this link:

http://raidersec.blogspot.it/2012/03/how-to-setup-and-configure-snort-for.html

but when I run this command

$ zcat /usr/share/doc/snort-pgsql/create_postgresql.gz | psql snort

I'm getting an error: seems he don't recognize the package "create ".
Moreover I don't have the ~$ sudo nano /etc/snort/database.conf file.

I've looked a lot around the web about this problem but i'm still in trouble.
Is the guide that i'm using out of date?
What am I doing wrong?

is that guide using barnyard2 for the database populating? if not, then it is
likely out of date... snort doesn't talk to databases directly any more... it
needs to spend time sniffing the data stream and posting alerts to the alert
files... barnyard2 will then read those alert files and properly add the alerts
to the database being used...

by using this method, if the database cannot be contacted for some reason, snort
can keep on doing its job instead of not sniffing while waiting on the database...