Snort mailing list archives

Re: Enquiry Sourcefire VRT Rules Update

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 08:48:28 -0500

Rules are disabled for a multitude of reasons.  Some being speed, age, possible false positive rate, or amount of
alerts it will generate.

For instance some of the alerts you outline below are things like the "ping".  This would alert on a customer's network
possibly millions of times a day, and therefore isn't very useful.

We recommend you begin with one of our default policies (connectivity, balanced, or security) and tune from there.  We
recommend using PulledPork for this job.

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT