Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort, Barnyard2 and Snorby alert classification mismatch

From: beenph <beenph () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 08:40:28 -0500

Forgot to say that you could also update the priority manually with a
UPDATE statement.

-elz

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 8:37 AM, beenph <beenph () gmail com> wrote:
On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 8:14 AM, hanx hi <hanxhi () yahoo com ar> wrote:
Hi everyone, I have this issue, maybe someone can help.

I'm running Snort 2.9.4 along with Barnyard2 2.1.9 and Snorby 2.5.4 as a
frontend. My problems is
that I cannot match any snort rule classification with Snorby severity.

Hi Hanx Hi,

First i would suggest that you update to latest barnyard2
(www.github.com/firnsy/barnyard2)

For example, I have this rule in Snort:

alert tcp $HOME_NET 21 -> $EXTERNAL_NET any (msg:"POLICY failed FTP login
attempt"; flow:established,to_client; content:"530 "; depth:4;
metadata:policy security-ips alert;
reference:url,www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc0959.txt; sid:13360; rev:3; priority:10;)

As you can see, at the end of a line I assign a priority of 10 to that rule;
when I trigger

You changed the priority, for it to be set correctly you would need to delete
the rule you have inserted in the database and re-run barnyard2.

The rule would then be at the good priority (if you have changed it
betwen the first insertion
and a later insertion).

Hope this helps,

-elz