Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort rule for a pattern match?

From: "Shields, Joseph (NIH/NIEHS) [C]" <joseph.shields () nih gov>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 14:45:43 +0000

Nathan,
   Thanks for the advice.  However, the problem is the look ahead needs to do a calculation based on a matched value of
a dot (.).  so we are looking for a pattern.  The first value can be an ascii (inc extended ascii) character.  Here is
the original posting of the requirement:

I am looking for a pattern that identifies a threat I am tracking and need to write a signature to find it.  The
problem is that I don’t know what the starting character will be but I will always know what the difference between two
given characters will be.

A simple, human readable, example is:

ABCDTSRQ

The difference between each character is:

[A] is 1 SMALLER than [B] is 1 SMALLER than [C] is 1 SMALLER than [D] is 16 SMALLER than [T] is 1 BIGGER than [S] is 1
BIGGER than [R] is 1 BIGGER than [Q]

The pattern in this example is -1,-1,-1,-16,+1,+1,+1.

BCDEXWVU would match this pattern and so would HIJKZXYW.

How can I write this rule?