Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snortsam patch for 2.9.3.1

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 21:01:31 -0500

On 11/19/2012 17:11, Jeremy Hoel wrote:
There are output files in the snort.conf to generate those..

i know there are entries in the snort.conf for them but none of them are enabled...

and if its not snort.conf there's another system file in play giving you
those outputs.  Maybe under /etc/default or /etc/sysconfig.

not on this closed system... none of that "fancy schmansy" stuff exists... there
is only snort.conf and snort's internal defaults...

The reason I say this is because it is possible to turn them off so the
only output is a unified2 binary file, but its all completely configurable.

true... i'm just not (1) sure which ones are defaults and (2) what will be
affected by enabling other settings in the snort.conf which are currently
disabled...

NOTE: that we still support snort 2.8.6.1 as well as newer versions... /none/ of
them have any output processors defined in the snort.conf... only the default
snort ones are used...

FWIW: it was a while before we found out that the snort.log.xxxxxxxxxx ones were
pcap files... and then it took joel to tell us when we sent him one to try to
figure out what was recorded in it while we were trying to work on some snort
rules... we knew the data we needed was in the file but there was nothing in the
startup of snort that was logged that stated what output processors were being
used...

On Nov 19, 2012 2:04 PM, "waldo kitty" <wkitty42 () windstream net
<mailto:wkitty42 () windstream net>> wrote:

    On 11/19/2012 16:38, Jeremy Hoel wrote:
     > And the answer to your question is yes.  You can still leave the snort.conf
     > output to write to the text alert files and also add the unified2 file
    and let
     > barnyard2 work on that and migrate over to a new front end over time.

    that's what i was thinking/hoping... i also just want to clarify the files i'm
    speaking of...

    1. there is only one alert file that is ascii text... this file builds over time
    until some external process removes it...

    2. the snort.log.xxxxxxxxxx files are pcap files where snort has saved the
    packet(s) that make up an alert... there's one file used for each run of
    snort... if you run snort 4 times in a period, there will be 4 of these files...

    3. there are /no/ output plugins defined in the snort.conf... the above
    mentioned output files are defaults that snort uses automatically unless they
    are overridden (i guess)...