Snort mailing list archives

Re: Barnyard and multiple snort processes

From: James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 04:48:10 -0700

On Nov 10, 2012, at 4:06 AM, ARUN PUSHKAR <arunpushkar () gmail com> wrote:

I am also trying to use multiple instances of snort with same number of barnyard on different core of a processor,
can you suggest how to achieve this as barnyard is a blocking call so instance of SNORT does not start immediately
after that also i tried using barnyard as demon.snort starts prior to that but it is compulsory to start barnyard
first. So what should i do to solve this.

Hi Arun,

I have my startup start snort first, then barnyard.  I have also found that having my startup script sleep between
starts is a good idea as well for both snort and banryard2 as they take up a fair amount of CPU on startup.  I think I
have a 10 second delay between each instance starting up.  Hope that helps.

James