Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort / Pulled Pork Confusion

From: "Jefferson, Shawn" <Shawn.Jefferson () bcferries com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 12:33:22 -0600

You can run snort with all those rule files if you want, download and extract them manually, or you could probably even
use Oinkmaster if you'd like.  But why?  There's a better tool out there to do this now, with many great features that
take into account how Snort has evolved over time.

DAQ, and database support: these things let Snort keep up with the times as far as link speeds and traffic volume go,
as well as providing more flexibility (ie. you can run in-line or in IDS mode easily with the same code).

Just because you can't figure it out doesn't mean it should be back the way it was.  Why don't you just buy a turnkey
solution if you're having so much trouble?  Sourcefire sells them, as well as many other companies.