Snort mailing list archives

Re: p2p traffic detect (torrents)

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 11:02:00 -0400

On Oct 31, 2012, at 10:29 AM, Dmitry Korzhevin <dmitry.korzhevin () stidia com> wrote:

Guys, can you please advice best way to detect torrents? For now i use only one rule in my /etc/snort/snort.conf
configuration file:

/etc/snort/rules/local.rules:

alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET any (msg: "torrent"; content:"GET"; content:"torrent"; sid:1100021; rev:1;)

But i don't think it is best of snort can do to detect torrents.. I downloaded latest snortrules-snapshot-2931.tar.gz
file from site snort.org using my oinkcode, i see, archive have some king of p2p.rules files..

How should i need to connect this p2p.rules to my snort?

Take a look in the pua-p2p.rules category.  You should see torrent rules in there.

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT