Snort mailing list archives

Re: Question about Content-Disposition, Content-Type, etc. and http_header buffer

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 11:51:55 -0400

Well, from the looks of the "dump" (or whatever you sent below) it looks like there are multiple carriage returns in
there.

If the "header" of an http session has |0d 0a 0d 0a|, according to the RFC which states that character sequence
indicates the end of the header, and the start of the packet data.  In which case the http_inspect preprocessor will
move onto the http_client_data buffer.

Hence why I asked for the pcap, to see if this is true.  We can create a pcap that looks like yours below, but I know
the exact behavior of the preprocessor in this case.

If you wanted to test it, you could do a
content:"Content-Type"; http_header; content:"Content-Disposition"; http_header; distance:0;

which you indicated doesn't work.

then test by doing:

content:"Content-Type"; http_header; content:"Content-Disposition"; http_client_body;

and if that fires, then there's your problem.  Broken RFC adherence by whatever program is generating that traffic.

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT