Snort mailing list archives

Re: Wireless IDS monitoring using Snort

From: Jeremy Hoel <jthoel () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 19:56:11 +0000

Well if you just wanted to monitor traffic from wires/wireless <->
outside then span the port that the outside connects on.  If you want
to watch traffic to/from wired to wireless then you span that port
also.  It depends on what you want to watch specifically.

So in your case, if your router is also the wifi, then no, you won't
see that traffic.  If you go:

Cable modem <-> switch <-> router/wifi <-> computers

and then just have the span port on the switch on either the cable
modem port or the router port, and you will see all the traffic.