Snort mailing list archives

Re: Where's Waldo?

From: AllowOverride <allowoverride () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 08:29:15 -0700

I was doing some research, like i usually do, and i found this option,
but,
there is not much said about in the Readme's enclosed with Barnyard2
tar.

-f <base>  Use <base> as the base filename pattern

what do they mean by base filename pattern?

thanks
--- Begin Message --- From: beenph <beenph () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 02:39:41 -0400
That person was probably right.

https://github.com/firnsy/barnyard2/blob/master/README

<SNIP>
In continual mode, barnyard2 will start with a location to look and a specified
file pattern and continue to process new data (and new spool files) as they
appear.

Continual mode w/ bookmarking will also use a checkpoint file (or waldo file in
the snort world) to track where it is. In the event the barnyard2 process ends
while a waldo file is in use, barnyard2 will resume processing at the last
entry as listed in the waldo file.

The "-f", "-w", and "-o" options are used to determine which mode barnyard2
will run in. It is legal for both the "-f" and "-w" options to be used on the
command line at the same time, however any data that exists in the waldo file
will override the command line data from the "-f" and "-d" options. See the
command directives section below for more detail.
Barnyard2 processing is controlled by two main types of directives: input
processors and output plugins. The input processors read information in from a
specific format ( currently the spo_unified2 output module of Snort ) and
output them in one of several ways.
</SNIP>