Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Snort-users] pulledpork question: do not nuke tarball post-processing and some feature requests

From: Tony Robinson <deusexmachina667 () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 15:50:09 -0500

On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 1:44 PM, JJC <cummingsj () gmail com> wrote:

Inline....

On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Tony Robinson
<deusexmachina667 () gmail com> wrote:
Hey fellas,

This is a question regarding pulledpork. I would e-mail JJ directly, but
feel this may be beneficial to future users, so I want to ask here
(besides,
one of you may know the answer to this or may have done this yourselves!)

I'm working on autosnort and dropping in pulled pork integration. I've
got
it to work properly, however I'm running into a problem where it is
working
*too* well - pp nukes its working directory after running. I want the
tarball in the directory for my script to extract the config files out of
the tarball's etc directory (except sid-msg.map and snort.conf --
sid-msg.map is obvious, but I pulled snort.conf directly from
labs.snort.org
and do not want it overwritten during the install). I've got a
work-around
in place that I think will work for now. I read from the pp mailing list
that the script *sort of* supports processing from local rule tarballs
so I
wanted to try the following as a work-around:

1) call pulled pork with -g to just grab the rules tarball.
2) use my script to untar the tarball, grab the conf files and copy them
for
the snort install
3) call pulled pork again with the -n option in addition to other
options I
want for rule processing. let pulled pork work its magic here

The tarball should remain after PP is done processing, it only nukes
it's working directory.  This is how the process local tarball
workaround works.. simply  place the tarball in the path that you have
pp defined to store it then run pp and tell it not to check the
hash... make sense?

got it.

If you are open for pulled pork feature requests however, I would like to
request the following:

1) an option to not nuke the rules tarball post-download
--I can see the subroutine where the temp directory is cleaned out,
would it
be as simple as defining a variable for do not clean, a flag for do not
clean and adding in the 'if' statement where the routine is called, to
run
cleanup only if this flag is NOT present? Perl isn't my native language,
but
if its as simple as that, I would be willing to try and write this
functionality in, test it out and contribute it.

As noted above, the tarball should remain in the temp path that you
defined for it to write said tarball to.  If it's disappearing then
there is another process doing this.

yeah found out what my problem is. my script is removing the files out of
/tmp after failing to untar the rule tarball. It was trying to untar the
md5 file instead. Afterwards, I have a cleanup routine that is removing
everything out the /tmp directory.

Hurr. I program gud.

Anyhoo, I've fixed that issue and will be doing some testing to make sure
it works properly.

2) an option to copy the config files out of the rule tarball's 'etc'
directory (with the exception of sid-msg.map (and in my case,
snort.conf))
-I know how to do this in bash:
-untar the tarball
-use a for loop to copy the files from /tmp/etc directory listing piped
grep -v used to remove snort.conf and sid-msg.map from the directory
listing, to the defined etc directory for the actual snort installation
-- Have no clue where to even start for doing this in Perl.
-Is this considered out of scope since it isn't strictly rule management?

Something similar to this was recently proposed, but more as a config
file comparison.. PP runs and spits out information about differences
between the snortrules tarball snort.conf and your current version.
Though there is no formal feature request it is an interesting
use-case.. feel free to add the feature request in the bug tracker at
pulledpork.googlecode.com

Will do. Thanks for hearing me out.

Cheers,

DA

--
when does reality end? when does fantasy begin?

Please visit http://blog.snort.org to stay current on all the latest
Snort
news!

--
when does reality end? when does fantasy begin?