Snort mailing list archives

Re: newbq: snort working, getting hits, got sig id's. What now?

From: Y M <snort () outlook com>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 11:47:31 +0000

It depends on the alerts you may get, for example: 1. If get an alert for a malware, say ZeroAccess Trojan outbound
connectin, in this case you want to:     a. identify the infected host in your network, find the proper tools to remove
the Trojan.     b. identify how the Trojan got in and how to prevent it from happing again, that could be in the
firewall, or finding a better AV.2. If you get an attemped web application attack (cmd.exe access) attempts, you may
want to check the reference url from the rule, in this case you will have a Microsoft KB or security bulletin, identify
the affected systems from their and compare to your environment. You may block the offending IP address if you see
repeated attempts from the same. There is a whole lot to do than that, you need to define your response methodology,
and over time, you will be able to cover much of the alerts you get. Hope this helps.YM