Snort mailing list archives

Re: Custom Snort Rule Problem

From: JJC <cummingsj () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 17:12:22 -0600

You really want some content matches in there, dramatic performance increase.

Sent from my iPad

On Nov 28, 2012, at 16:26, Jeremy Hoel <jthoel () gmail com> wrote:

We do a version of this on our network..

var DNS_SERVERS [8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4, <other trusted DNS servers on local subnet>]

alert tcp !$DNS_SERVERS any -> !$DNS_SERVERS 53 (msg:"DNS traffic not
to-from DNS server"; classtype: misc-activity;sid:1000080;)
alert udp !$DNS_SERVERS any -> !$DNS_SERVERS 53 (msg:"DNS traffic not
to-from DNS server"; classtype: misc-activity;sid:1000081;)

so that anything that we see that's not to a DNS server we want, we
know about.. from inside out or other way around.

I don't know that you can do your IP declarations like that when you
are making the rule.