Snort mailing list archives

Re: Barnyard - Database link down

From: beenph <beenph () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 01:10:51 -0400

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 12:43 AM, William Sandin <william () e-cq net> wrote:
On 08/06/2012 10:15 AM, beenph wrote:
version 1.10 has some new code that retry a defined numbed or time
(10 and configurable) before stoping cleanly
The transactional code in 1.10 is more robust and if a transaction
fail and your dbms strictly respect the transaction
nothing will corrupt the schema.

This being said when you use unified2 nothing is lost until you erase
the unified2 file, thus its allways possible
to replay events if something would happen ie: database crash or corruption.

In that case, monitoring By2 and the RDBMS processes with software such
as MMonit, would increase reliability and minimize risk of data loss in
the db.

Data lost would occur if the database get corrupted or if someone
delete the unified2 file.
Barnyard2 should only be considered as a transpher agent.

I really like DJ.B's daemontools for it's robustness but it's not as
easy do deploy and don't have very few monitoring options except the PID.

Daemontools is awsome for snort and barnyard, but i wouldn't recommend
using it for databases,
unless you really know what your doing.

Is there any roadmap or planned release date for 1.10? I'm eager to know
more about new features and improvements in the next release :-)

Well we still need more people to test 2-1.10 its in pre-stable phase
and has improvement to the database code
for the old schema. 2-1.10 is only a minor version and does contain a
few bug fix and a few feature like
remote syslog (tcp and udp logging) and a more robust database code.

You can get the pre-stable branch in firnsy depo :
https://github.com/firnsy/barnyard2/tree/pre-stable

Or mine:

https://github.com/binf/barnyard2/tree/pre-stable

Currently i have a small  fix that correct postgresql compilation that
his not pushed but it should be upstreamed soon enough.

You and firnsy are doing a great job.

Thanks, and the more feedback we have the better it can get.

I'm not sure if there is any specific By2 list I better subscribe to?

We have two groups and we encourage users and potential users  of
barnyard2 to come and interract:

barnyard2-users :
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/barnyard2-users
and