Snort mailing list archives

PF_RING DAQ with Snort 2.9.3 compile errors

From: Robert Vineyard <vineyard () tuffmail com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 18:46:00 -0400

Hello,

I posted this earlier to the ntop-misc mailing list, but it occurred to
me that it might be worthwhile to pose this question to a wider audience
within the Snort community.

I am trying to build the current PF_RING DAQ module from SVN trunk, and
after fixing a typo in the configure.ac file (it was searching for
libpcap.a and libpfring.a in hard-coded locations instead of honoring
the paths passed in to ./configure), I am encountering errors when
compiling against the DAQ 1.1.1 library that ships with Snort 2.9.3.

The relevant messages from gcc are as follows:

daq_pfring.c: In function 'pfring_daq_acquire':
daq_pfring.c:577:10: error: 'DAQ_PktHdr_t' has no member named
'device_index'
daq_pfring.c: In function 'pfring_daq_inject':
daq_pfring.c:669:39: error: 'DAQ_PktHdr_t' has no member named
'device_index'

Looking at the daq_common.h header file from the DAQ 1.1.1 distribution,
it appears that the "device_index" field has been split out into
"ingress_index" and "egress_index":

typedef struct _daq_pkthdr
{
     struct timeval ts;      /* Timestamp */
     uint32_t caplen;        /* Length of the portion present */
     uint32_t pktlen;        /* Length of this packet (off wire) */
     int32_t ingress_index;  /* Index of the inbound interface. */
     int32_t egress_index;   /* Index of the outbound interface. */
     int32_t ingress_group;  /* Index of the inbound group. */
     int32_t egress_group;   /* Index of the outbound group. */
     uint32_t flags;         /* Flags for the packet (DAQ_PKT_FLAG_*) */
     uint32_t opaque;        /* Opaque context value from the DAQ module
or underlying hardware.
                                Directly related to the opaque value in
FlowStats. */
     void *priv_ptr;         /* Private data pointer */
} DAQ_PktHdr_t;

Before I go too deep down this rabbit-hole, are there any planned fixes
or workarounds for this issue?

Thanks,
Robert Vineyard