Snort mailing list archives

Re: http_inspect tuning issue

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2012 01:31:18 -0400

On 7/2/2012 18:53, Castle, Shane wrote:
I am getting thousands of 120:8 alerts (http_inspect: MESSAGE WITH INVALID CONTENT-LENGTH OR CHUNK SIZE) and I can't
figure out how to tune http_inspect so that they aren't triggered. Any info on this would be appreciated.

why would you want to tune them out? what do your pcaps (packet captures) show?
this, to me, stinks of some sort of consolidated attack on your servers or
possibly of trying to use them in an attack against another server or servers...

i say this while looking at the thousands of attacks that my systems repel every
day which are trying to use my servers against other servers... the main key
factor in my case is that they are caught and automatically blocked before they
can infiltrate my servers... yes, this is "slightly" against the normal flow
processing of monitoring IDS/IPS alerts but it is the process that i and those i
support have chosen ;)