Snort mailing list archives

Re: How to decide which rules should be enabled.

From: Bravo Snipper <snipperbravo () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 01:03:58 -0700 (PDT)

Hi

Al right I opted for  rule policy "security" in pulledpork.

Now when i manually downloaded  snortrules-snapshot-xxxx I can see different *.rules file, a separate pre_proc
directory etc.

But when i use pulledpork it only places a singal file snort.rules in rules directory, it has all the rules in single
file.

Why is it different?
Isn't keeping separate rules file e.g scan.rules, web-attack.rules is more manageable.

Can this(keeping single rule file or multiple) be configured using pulledpork configuration.
Currently I used pulledpork in the following way;

-My pulledpork command
/usr/local/bin/pulledpork.pl -c /etc/snort/pulledpork.conf -T -l

-ips_policy=security

Regards