Snort mailing list archives

Re: Choosing a firewall with Snort

From: Pratik Narang <pratik.cse.bits () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 14:01:18 +0530

Thanks Kevin. Just to make it clear - I was talking of suggestions for
Firewalls/UTm systems which gel well with Snort. Having Snort inbuilt is
not a requirement.

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 1:29 PM, Kevin Ross <kevross33 () googlemail com>wrote:

Do you mean one which includes snort built in or as an easy to install
package? If so I recommend pfsense, it isn't IPS in terms of it will drop
packets inline but it will block the attacker but make sure you tune it
(for some reason for the time being though during updates it doesn't
remember what specific rules you have disabled so run it a while, disable
and enable rulle categories and specific rules giving you bother use the
threshold.conf screen). It is an excellent firewall though and you can do
things like geoip blocking with pfblocker, VPNs, excellent firewall rule
flexibility and advanced features and more (including proxy packages). It
has certainly been great for me in a home environment although I am not
sure in a work environment as I work in a very large organization and we
use appliance based firewalls.

Hope that helps you. Other options are smoothwall (updates seemed to stop
when I moved from it to pfsense), Astaro and there will be others too.

Kev