Snort mailing list archives

Re: New snort install question

From: "Sallee, Stephen (Jake)" <Jake.Sallee () umhb edu>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 13:22:36 +0000

Are these non-university machines on a guest VLAN
...kind of.   A few years ago we had the opportunity to completely redesign our network structure.  We adopted the
following VLan scheme

10.BB.VV.XX

Where:
BB = building number (arbitrarily assigned by yours truly)
VV = VLAN ID
XX = workstations

We have separate VLans for faculty/staff and students as well as voice and NAC, etc. ... all for each building.

have you checked out the Security Onion distro?
I had not seen that distro, it looks promising though.  I will most certainly look into it, THANKS!

As for the BPF filter, that seems like an excellent idea if we find our boxes have trouble keeping up, hopefully they
won't but you never know.

Thank you for the info.

Jake Sallee
Godfather of Bandwidth