Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort inline mode

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 11:33:16 -0400

Can you share your compile errors with us?

--
Joel Esler

On May 18, 2012, at 6:59 PM, eddie <mrcyberfighter () gmail com> wrote:

Hello the snort users:
I want to get an ips who block attacks so i study a little bit snort and
download it from the Ubuntu repository but wenn i set snort in inline
mode, the only --daq-mode who works without fatal error is the dump mode
with what i test a nmap scan and sea that snort allow it after pressing
crtl+c...
So i compile the source with libnet, daq, and snort: the daq compile
instructions don't work, i don't mind and used the daq from the
repository. but i have the same problem with the --daq-mode who only
work without fatal error with the dump mode who is not an really inline
mode after the snort manual.

I have sea that the most actions from the snort rules are alert and i
want to know how snort could work in inline mode with alert action
instead of block.

extract from snort launching:
Rule application order:
activation->dynamic->pass->drop->sdrop->reject->alert->log

If you want to answers me i have 2 questions:
-How patch the daq to bring it work in another mode ?
-Can i get snort rules who have inline actions like block or does the
inline mode work otherwise with alert ?

Thank's for your answers.