Snort mailing list archives

Security onion, Snort, plus subnets?

From: Corbin Fletcher <corbin () freeway com>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 08:30:19 -0700

Hello All--

We have made some good progress...we now have installed Security Onion
in a virtual environment, on our data center, and we have configured
Snort. We are using Squert, Snorby, and Squil to monitor events as the
occur.

Our sensor appears to only be monitoring traffic on our private network
(subnet), 10.10.xx.xxx This is also the subnet where our sensor lives.
Our sensors IP address is 10.10.xx.xxx

The next step is to configure our Snort sensor to monitor all traffic
coming from our main switch (Cisco 2960G) e.g., monitor all traffic on
our network.

We will need to configure Snort to watch the SPAN port on our switch.

Can anyone advise on how bets to achieve this goal- on the sensor side?
Do we need to add a network in the Snort config file? I am lost at this
point and any advice on Snort configuration is much appreciated.

Is there another way to best and easily achieve our goal to monitor all
traffic on our network with Snort?

Another way to ask this question...how can I configure Snort to monitor
all traffic throughout our small data center, which provides VoIP
services, including private address (e.g., 10.10.xx.xxx)
and other sub nets 66.113.xx.xxx

At this point, Snort is monitoring on a small segment (subnet) on a
large network; therefore, we are not receiving the full benefit of the
data our Snort sensor is collecting.

Thanks in advance...any information will be helpful. ~Corbin