Snort mailing list archives

Evolving the TCP window size option

From: Anestis Bechtsoudis <bechtsoudis.a () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2012 23:54:16 +0200

Hello list,

recently 'HTTP Slow Read DoS' has been discovered from S. Shekyan [1].
This new attack method has been implemented in slowhttptest tool [2].

Despite the proposed host-based mitigation solutions [3], I was
searching for ways to detect the attack at the network layer. Playing
around with the attack, I discovered that small TCP window sizes can
expose it.

Reading the snort manual, I discovered that the window option offered
for rule writing, can be used only with specific values and not numeric
ranges (like the dsize option).

Evolving the window option to support min<>max and [<|>] would be a
great enhancement.

[1] https://community.qualys.com/blogs/securitylabs/2012/01/05/slow-read
[2] http://code.google.com/p/slowhttptest/
[3]
http://blog.spiderlabs.com/2012/01/modsecurity-advanced-topic-of-the-week-mitigation-of-slow-read-denial-of-service-attack.html

Kind Regards,
Anestis
--
* Anestis Bechtsoudis                         *