Snort mailing list archives

Re: Some notes about today's VRT Rule release for 02/09/2012

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 17:19:42 -0500

On 2/9/2012 15:58, Joel Esler wrote:

[trim]

Today, we leveled the playing field between the various ways to get Snort rules.
It has long been the case where Sourcefire products, by default, enabled rules
in the balanced-ips policy.

ok...

When you use PulledPork (http://code.google.com/p/pulledpork/), this is also the
default behavior. But when you simply downloaded the rules from Snort.org, the
rules were a hodge podge of rules that were enabled or disabled, denoted by
whether or not the rule was commented out in the rules file.

ok...

In an effort to make the barrier to entry that much easier, the Open Source rule
package downloaded on snort.org <http://snort.org> now exactly mirrors what you
would get if you used PulledPork. All rules in balanced-ips are enabled and all
rules not in balanced-ips are disabled. The exception to this is that rules that
set flowbits that are used by rules that are in balanced-ips are also enabled.
This means that the default Open Source ruleset will now provide a good balance
between speed, performance, and detection and all rules should work as
expected.  Those using Oinkmaster, or simply downloading the ruleset directly,
will now be running the "balanced-ips" policy.  A rule's "on/off" state is now
dictated by policy.

what policy? i've understood most things up to here... we do not use any
"policy" rules in our configuration... at least nothing specifically... i don't
believe that we even include the policy.rules file(s)... so one has to ask, what
policy? where can one see this policy? does this change blow things up like
oinkmaster's disablesid option?