Snort mailing list archives

Re: Basics of setting up an inline snort installation

From: PS <packetstack () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 13:11:20 -0500

When I first setup snort inline I only had two interfaces. One being my wan interface (eth0) and the other the LAN
interface (eth1). I am able to run inline with just those two interfaces, but it is not recommended. Both are set to
promiscuous mode. So it can be done with two if you really need to. Both interfaces have IP addresses.

As for them needing IP addresses, I am not sure how it could be inline without IP addresses. How would traffic be
routed?

Again, it's best if you have a third interface for management.