Snort mailing list archives

Re: HELP ON SNORT

From: "Lay, James" <james.lay () wincofoods com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 13:08:17 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Jefferson, Shawn [mailto:Shawn.Jefferson () bcferries com]
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2012 12:25 PM
To: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] HELP ON SNORT

My situation is that I we are a small shop and we need tools that
minimize the analyst's time.
Fortunately/Unfortunately, BASE is the tool we're using for NIDS event
analysis, and the reason is that to minimize
analysis time, we've integrated the tools with other sources of
information in our layered defense strategy (and
BASE was easy to modify since it is built upon php.)  Correlation is
key, IMO, and seems to be missing from most of
the front-end tools.  (Maybe OSSIM does this a bit.  Never got it
working properly.)

When you see an alert on your NIDS:

How do you determine if the endpoint system is vulnerable?
How do you determine if the endpoint security software blocked the
attempt?
How do you determine if the alert was generated from a client request,
that may have been blocked by your proxy, or
other edge-device?

If you have to go to other tools to do any of that, you are wasting
analyst time.  Ideally it should all be just
there on the screen without drilling down into anything (a bit more
difficult to do.)

I guess we are getting into SIEM territory here... sometimes the SIEMs
don't even do a good job of this though.

I'd all but abandoned BASE, but Sagan brought new life to it.
Ironically, Snort alerts aren't what I was interested in, but everything
BUT snort...firewall hits were especially of interest...sure I can
monitor, but trending over time was a question, and Sagan plus BASE
really shine in this area.  Check out Sagan...it is well worth it.

James