Snort mailing list archives

Re: Configuring snort as IPS

From: Fabio Almeida <mentesan () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 13:54:10 -0200

The short answer is:

1 - You'll need to patch snort and recompile
2 - Adjust the rules you want to take an "active response"
3 - Install the snortsam agent on your firewalls
4 - Configure snortsam to take actions based on your firewall system and policies

That's all, the overall setup may seem a little complex but for sure it's worthwhile the trouble.

Just for the sake of completeness, you can put together these softwares to make a good IDS/IPS system:

- Snort + snortsam
- Pulledpork
- Barnyard
- MySQL